Thursday, July 21, 2016

Paper Mache Trinket Box Tutorial

Hello, all our ribbon-loving friends, and welcome back to the Really Reasonable Ribbon Blog.  Today I (Karen Letchworth) am sharing a quick and easy tutorial for making a treasured Trinket Box for someone special.  I started with one of those cheap little $1 paper mache boxes you can pick up at your local craft store (Michael's, JoAnn, etc.).  I painted the box with black chalkboard paint (two coats), and the top (lid) with cream acrylic paint.  Then, I added a light layer of Mod Podge to the top of the lid and covered it with vintage sheet music.  I trimmed it down into a perfect circle covering the lid.  I used a pink crystal knob that I got in the dollar bins at Michaels and attached it to the top of my trinket box so that the person can easily lift off the lid.
Once I had the box painted and covered the way I wanted it (you can use any colors of paint or papers to cover your box), I wanted to make it really "over-the-top" beautiful and special.  The best way I know to accomplish that is to grab some of my FABULOUS ribbons, trims and flowers from Really Reasonable Ribbon and get busy decorating it.
I used two lengths of Black Seam Binding, two lengths of Baby Pink Seam Binding, a length of Black Burlap String, a bow tied using Cotton Candy Baker's Twine, and a small double bow tied with Black Micro Gingham.  They all look so lovely together, don't they?  For my final touches, I added two Ivory and Pale Pink Open End Roses, one Black Open End Rose, and a 30 mm Green Paper Leave.  I stamped an image in black ink on a small grungy prim tag and attached it with a stick pin.  Pretty simple, huh?
These little trinket boxes make such lovely gifts, and are such a super cost-effective way to give someone a very special, heart-felt hand-made gift they will love and cherish.  I made one for my Mom; and she keeps some jewelry in it, and displays it on her bedroom dresser.   The whole point is to have fun and be creative.  Really Reasonable Ribbon has all the perfect colors of Seam Binding, Burlap String, Baker's Twine, and Mulberry Flowers to help YOU create a trinket box just like this one (or in your favorite color scheme).  I'm always more than happy to answer any questions you might have for me about how I made this box.  Our entire Design Team is here to help answer any questions you might have about using Really Reasonable Ribbons creatively.

Thanks so much for visiting today, and don't forget about our fun CURRENT CHALLENGE taking place now.  We'd love to have you play along with us, and we really enjoy seeing your wonderful creations.  AND.....don't miss out on our CURRENT SALE.  Details are posted on the RRR Facebook Page.

Thanks for stopping by,
Karen Letchworth

1 comment :

  1. Very gorgeous box with the beautiful flowers and ribbon. Love the pin holding the label - very creative. Hugs Nancy Hill

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say